Abbreviation of File Names in File Menu

In the drop down File Menu the penultimate block is a list of recently
used notebooks; 30 in my case because I have used the options
inspector to change NotebooksMenuHistoryLength.  I like long notebook
names because it helps me to distinguish changes I have made. In
Version 7 these names are now given in an abbreviated form with the
first few characters, three dots (an ellipsis) and the last few
characters. This means that I can't reap the benefit of long file
names because the middle of the name is missing. I have plenty of
width across the screen so abbreviating is no help.

Is it possible to prevent the file names being abbreviated.?

Thanks

Hugh Goyder