Re: Compositing, 3D graphics, and KDE 4.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98921] Re: Compositing, 3D graphics, and KDE 4.2
  • From: Richard Foltyn <richard.foltyn at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 05:08:49 -0400 (EDT)

Curtis Osterhoudt wrote:

> I have version 7.0.0 running on a 32-bit linux system, in KDE 4.2
>    (radeonhd driver). Now, most of the stuff is esoteric, and I'm quite
>    happy to have gotten everything running fast and stably and prettily,
>    including Mathematica looking great. However, I've just noticed today
>    that if I produce any 3D graphics (using Plot3D, or
>    Graphics3D[Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 1, 0}}]], for example) that the 3D
>    object shows up only if I'm actively rotating it or resizing it with
>    the mouse. Otherwise, it disappears and looks like just a big blank
>    space on the screen. I might try updating to 7.0.2 just in case that
>    fixes things.

I have tested this on 64bit KDE 4.2.2 with kwin compositing and Mathematica
7.0.1 on two different machines, one using the proprietary Nvidia drivers,
the other the Intel graphics drivers. In either case, 3D graphs worked
without actively manipulating them.

Therefore this might be an issue with you ATI drivers. I have no idea
whether this will help, but you might try different drivers, e.g. the
proprietary ATI driver (Catalyst 9.4 for Linux has been released recently,
IIRC).