Re: Looking for more Mathematica online user groups/forums

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98956] Re: Looking for more Mathematica online user groups/forums
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 05:15:18 -0400 (EDT)

In article <gsk2gf$ntp$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I Iam very thankful to those at
> Wolfram who help and reply to all the questions and issues posed on
> this group and for hosting the MathGroup Archive, especially since
> they do it on their own time.
>
> And the biggest thank you of all to Steven Christensen who keeps all
> the spam and other stuff from cluttering up this forum and who makes
> sure that the content keeps flowing and organized and everything else
> that he does behind the scenes. I am so happy not to have to wade
> through the countless ads for all the drivel and porn and scams and
> everything else that gets so old on many other newsgroups.

I may beat up pretty aggressively on some of Mathematica's and Wolfram's
looney [1] policies from time to time in this group; but I'd also like
to strongly endorse both of the sentiments expressed just above [2].

-------------
NOTES:

[1]  I've more often tended to describe some of these policies as
"insane", but one of the recent supportive emails I received from
another lurker on the group (and I do get a modest number of such
private but supportive communications) used instead the term "looney",
and I think that's even better, or at least more picturesque.

[2]  And I didn't know any of this background information about Steven
Christensen and had sometimes wondered just who "Steven M. Christensen
and Associates, Inc." really was.  Other moderated groups often have a
brief FAQ message that's auto-posted monthly by the moderator, saying
who the moderator is and giving a few of his or her key policies and
requests with respect to the operation of the group.  Maybe that would
be a useful idea here??