Mathematica JLink and comm.javax.CommPortIdentifier

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99011] Mathematica JLink and comm.javax.CommPortIdentifier
  • From: "Koehler, Charles" <ckoehler at aosmith.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 03:45:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I would like to use JLink to perform serial communication functions with
Mathematica.  It appears that javacomm api for Windows is no longer
supported by Sun.  So as an alternative I am attempting to use RxTx as a
substitute.  When I attempt to run:

In[2]:= InstallJava[]
Out[2]= LinkObject["C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\7.0\SystemFiles\Java\Windows\bin\javaw" -classpath
"C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\7.0\SystemFiles\Links\JLink\JLink.jar" -Xmx256m
-Djava.system.class.loader=com.wolfram.jlink.JLinkSystemClassLoader
com.wolfram.jlink.Install -init "C:\Documents and
Settings\ckoehler\Local Settings\Temp\m19.tmp",4,4]

I assume that I have installed the rxtx dll and jar files in the correct
location.

LoadJavaClass["comm.javax.CommPortIdentifier"]

I receive the following error:

Java::excptn: A Java exception occurred:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: comm.javax.CommPortIdentifier
	at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247).

LoadJavaClass::fail: Java failed to load class
comm.javax.CommPortIdentifier. >>

I realize this is may not be the appropriate newsgroup for this, but the
only documentation I could find regarding Jlink is out of data.

Thanks for any direction you might be able to provide.

Chuck Koehler