Re: "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it:"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99111] Re: "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it:"
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 01:17:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 25, 11:40 pm, Cora L <cora.lahnst... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've recently upgraded to Mathematica 7.0.
>
> I find the box
> "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it:"
> quite annoying.
>
> I would like to copy and paste the output into a different Mathematica
> notebook.
> So I have to click on "Show Full Output" which takes ages to generate.
>
> Is there a default setting where I can force Mathematica to always
> give the
> Full Output rather than this annoying "A very large output..." box?
>
> Thanks!

The $OutputSizeLimit option tells you the current limit - by default
it is 1,048,576 bytes. $OutputSizeLimit can be set via SetOptions like
(if you wanted a 10 meg limit for the current notebook)

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[], OutputSizeLimit -> 10000000]

or you can also set OutputSizeLimit in Options Inspector (in the
Global Preferences) to Infinity or a specific number. You might want
to set it to something big enough to handle what you want rather than
infinity since that would fill up your entire disk and take forever.

-Bob