Re: Select and Cases Give Different Answers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99204] Re: Select and Cases Give Different Answers
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:41:43 -0400 (EDT)

For some reason or another the != test returns undecided for
comparisons of rationals and complex numbers with strings, but not for
integers and reals with strings

In[6]:= 1/2 != "NA"

Out[6]= 1/2 != "NA"

this, on its turn, influences your Select results.

Unsame forces an answer

In[7]:= 1/2 =!= "NA"

Out[7]= True

I'm unable to come up with a good reason for this behavior so I am
tempted to say this is a bug.

Cheers -- Sjoerd