Re: Copy/paste selection of a pdf on Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99231] Re: Copy/paste selection of a pdf on Mac
  • From: Jens <noeckel at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 06:24:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 29, 3:41 am, ragfield <ragfi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 12:36 am, "A. B." <functionalcoati... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I think this has more to do with Apple than Mathematica:
>
> > - Select a portion of a pdf file in Preview.app and copy to the clipboard=
> ,
> > - Paste in Mathematica.
>
> > This results in the whole pdf page being pasted in Mathematica. Researchi=
> ng
> > on the web showed that this same behaviour was observed with Keynote at s=
> ome
> > point but it has since been fixed.
> > It has to do with a new so-called "non-destructive" way that Preview now
> > uses for cropping. The application where the pasting is done needs to be
> > made aware of this change on the part of Apple. Thus, on my 10.5.6 system=
> ,
> > pasting works well with Pages and Keynote (iWork 9).
> > A workaround is to paste in one of these applications, copy the pdf image
> > and paste it in Mathematica. This works as expected.
>
> This is a previously unreported bug in Mathematica that has since been
> fixed for a future release.
>
> In the future I encourage you to report any suspected bugs in
> Mathematica to Wolfram Tech Support:http://support.wolfram.com/submitabug.=
> cgi
>
> -Rob, Wolfram Research

I've added a bug report for a related problem, not knowing if it has
been fixed for versions > 7.0.0:

When pasting a PDF page into Mathematica's notebook, the resolution of
the pasted cell does not adjust itself to the View magnification of
the notebook.
Example:
(a)
set Window>Magnification > 200%
(b)
paste a PDF containing resolution-independent vector graphics (fonts)
into this notebook

The display appears coarse and pixelated. It is possible to resize the
pasted image, but the result looks smooth only when the notebook
magnification is set to 100%.

Jens