Re: DOCS: debugger + theorem prover

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg102214] Re: DOCS: debugger + theorem prover
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 04:02:23 -0400 (EDT)

Chris Osborn wrote:
> Hi All,
> Does anyone else feel there should be more documentation on the
> interactive debugger, and also on the automated theorem prover?
> I myself find the debugger a bit finicky and would like some
> documentation there.
> Also, it seems the automated theorem prover is called when the
> arguments to FullSimplify are given in a specific format,
> but that format is not documented.
> Thanks,
> Chris
The interactive debugger seems to have almost no documentation! I am
also not convinced that this debugger does its job in the best possible
way. One problem that I believe is particularly limiting, is the fact
that a debug session creates no permanent record of what went on - only
any side calculations are available to examine afterwards.

I have written an experimental package, DebugTrace that explores an
alternative debugging strategy, and which is available free from my
website - and yes, it does come with documentation!

David Bailey