Re: Re: error with Sum and Infinity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102399] Re: [mg102387] Re: error with Sum and Infinity
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 04:36:57 -0400 (EDT)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On 7 Aug 2009, at 18:32, Richard Fateman wrote:
>
>> Well, see Elton TeKolste's remarkable post.
>> I doubt that the "feature" he illustrates would be known even by most
>> experienced users.
>

> Well, you are wrong. For example, check this post (about the fastest
> way of adding up a billion numbers)
>
> http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2007/Mar/msg00565.html
>
> and the rest of the discussion.

I think you flatter yourself and mathgroup to think that "most
experienced users" will have read your post from March, 2007.
I just checked the documentation and I see no notice of that magic
number  (though maybe it is there somewhere and I missed it??).

Is there a way of finding that magic number without experimentation or
"insider" knowledge?  Would "most experienced users" know that?

If it is not in the documentation, the rules of the game mean that WRI
is free to change that magic number, or eliminate it, without notice, so
any experienced user would be loathe to take advantage of it for fear
that any program utilizing it would cease to work in a new version.

RJF