Re: Re: Finding the Position of Elements in a

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102406] Re: [mg102195] Re: [mg102157] Finding the Position of Elements in a
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 04:38:20 -0400 (EDT)

	Hi Leonid,

	I tried your function and it works well.  Thanks.  I tried it on the
following list of 12 strings where I searched for the word "can".   If
I change your LetterCharacter condition to WordCharacter, the function
will skip over instances of the search string that is attached to
numbers, as in strings 8 and 9, which is what I'd want most of the time.

TableForm[
  listOfStrings =
{"can is the first word in this sentence, and it is not capitalized on
purpose.",
"But it is not in this one.",
"Here, the word can is in the middle.",
"Don't want cannot because it is a substring of another word (its
opposite).",
"Attached to junk as in, She can+#@ he won't.",
"Concatonated as in, can't.",
"Preceded by punction without a space: pot;bottle;can;jar.",
"Preceded by a digit: 1035can.",
"Followed by a digit: can98.6.",
"At the end but without a stop as in, It's in the can",
"At the end with a stop as in, The money is in the can.",
"And finally, CAN in caps."},
TableHeadings -> Automatic]

	I also took a shot at putting together the parts of my own function
and I came up with this to identify the cases.  It gives the same
result as yours (with WordCharacter).

	StringCases[#, ___ ~~ WordBoundary ~~ "can" ~~ WordBoundary ~~ ___,
IgnoreCase -> False] & /@ listOfStrings

And wrapping Position[] around it correctly identifies the lists with
the hits.

	Position[StringCases[#, ___ ~~ WordBoundary ~~ "can" ~~ WordBoundary
~~ ___,  IgnoreCase -> False] & /@ listOfStrings, {_}]

	I'm not really sure I understand WordBoundary, but it seems to allow
search strings at the beginning or end of the target string to be
caught as well.  There are only two cases that I'm catching that I'd
like to exclude.  The first is junk attached to the word, as in list 5
(can+#@), which is caught by the function.  The other is
concatenations like in list 6 (can't), which would have to be
distinguished from possessives (can's or cans').  But for those, maybe
it would be easiest to run a check after the fact.

Regards,

	Gregory