Re: error with Sum and Infinity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102437] Re: error with Sum and Infinity
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 06:06:32 -0400 (EDT)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2009, at 02:16, Richard Fateman wrote:
>
><attempt at humor snipped>
>
>  he or she can
> always evaluate
>
> "SymbolicSumThreshold" /. SystemOptions[]
> 1000000
>
> which, I think, deals with the rest of your post.
>
> Andrzej

I assumed there was some name for that magic number, and now you tell me
this is the name. Thanks.

1. In the Alphabetical List of functions and other objects in
Mathematica, available as guide/AlphabeticalListing in the online manual
for version 6.0,  there is no appearance of SymbolicSumThreshold.
Options[Sum] returns {}  On the plus side, searching  via  ? *Sum*
reveals the presence of Global`SymbolicSumThreshold but with no
information on it.

2. I assume you are implicitly agreeing with me that it is
unsatisfactory to require any user to guess at the existence, name, and
effect of an undocumented global flag. But you can't bring yourself to
say so.

RJF