Alpha and copyright

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102478] Alpha and copyright
  • From: Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <mariano.suarezalvarez at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:01:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

maybe someone can enlighten me: what does the copyright mark on pages
such as <http://www66.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2B1> apply to, exactly?

I've read the terms of use, and to be honest it did not help a lot...
Maybe using a colored background on whatever is copyrighted, or an
explanation that the number 2 is not copyrighted but that 'the choices
involved in formulating and composing' this result are, in cases where
what is copyrighted is more abstract, could be of immense help in
determining how one can use of the provided information legally? Sadly,
in this silly age that we are stuck with, dealing with
content whose 'IP' status is not crystal clear is a problem.

-- m