Re: error with Sum and Infinity

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg102498] Re: error with Sum and Infinity
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2009, at 15:49, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>> I don't know if SystemOptions should be documented or not.
> I meant "I dont' know if system options (individual ones) should be
> documented or not. The Mathematica function SystemOptions is documented.
> Andrzej

I agree with you in this point. But -- this is a little off-topic now --
what I really miss in the documentation is the handling of the Method
option, which a lot of functions do have.

For most functions all we know is, that there is a Method option, which
defaults to Automatic.

Some other have "Possible setting for Method include..."

Sometimes, if you are lucky setting Method->"blabla" gives you a message
which reports the allowed method settings, but in most cases there is no
message and Method->"blabla" silently accepted.

I would *really* like the documentation to list all possible settings
of Method an to explain what they are doing, as in the documentation of

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany --