Dynamically create array and display data graphically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102497] Dynamically create array and display data graphically
  • From: Tuhina Singh <tuhina.singh at rmilindia.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:05:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
Please bear with me if you find this a simplistic problem. Just learning to find my way around mathematica.

b = Import["C:\Practice\example1.xls",{"Data",1}]  (* Import file - several columns of data with first row having headers *)

Manipulate[Manipulate[DateListPLot[{Take[b,{2,p}][[All,a]]}, {{2009,7,8},Automatic,"Day"},Joined->True],{p,2,35,1}],{a,2,5,1}]

In this code, I am able to specify the column I want displayed using the outer manipulate fn, and the inner manipulate function changes the number of rows of data displayed.

Now I want to change this function so that the outer manipulate fn specifies the "number of columns" to be displayed. So that if a = 3, I see three series in the graph with "p" rows of data shown in the graph.

I tried the following with no success:

Manipulate[{Do[col[[x]]= DateListPLot[{Take[b,{2,35}][[All,x]]}, {{2009,7,8},Automatic,"Day"},Joined->True, DisplayFunction->Identity],{x,2,a,1}],
Do[Show[col[[x]], DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction],{x,2,a,1}]}, ,{a,2,5,1}]

Was basically trying to loop  "a" times to dynamically create an array of dimension [a, 35] and then display them all together using Show function. But value of "a" doesn't get passed on and I believe use of the Do loop is also wrong here.

Thanks for ur help.

Regards,
Tuhina
Tuhina Singh
Siddhesh Capital Market Services Pvt Ltd.
122, Maker Chambers III, 12th Floor
Nariman POint
Mumbai - 400 021

Tel (D): 91-22-4057 0322