MathGroup Archive 2009

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Dynamically create array and display data graphically

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102497] Dynamically create array and display data graphically
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:05:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
Please bear with me if you find this a simplistic problem. Just learning to find my way around mathematica.

b = Import["C:\Practice\example1.xls",{"Data",1}]  (* Import file - several columns of data with first row having headers *)

Manipulate[Manipulate[DateListPLot[{Take[b,{2,p}][[All,a]]}, {{2009,7,8},Automatic,"Day"},Joined->True],{p,2,35,1}],{a,2,5,1}]

In this code, I am able to specify the column I want displayed using the outer manipulate fn, and the inner manipulate function changes the number of rows of data displayed.

Now I want to change this function so that the outer manipulate fn specifies the "number of columns" to be displayed. So that if a = 3, I see three series in the graph with "p" rows of data shown in the graph.

I tried the following with no success:

Manipulate[{Do[col[[x]]= DateListPLot[{Take[b,{2,35}][[All,x]]}, {{2009,7,8},Automatic,"Day"},Joined->True, DisplayFunction->Identity],{x,2,a,1}],
Do[Show[col[[x]], DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction],{x,2,a,1}]}, ,{a,2,5,1}]

Was basically trying to loop  "a" times to dynamically create an array of dimension [a, 35] and then display them all together using Show function. But value of "a" doesn't get passed on and I believe use of the Do loop is also wrong here.

Thanks for ur help.

Regards,
Tuhina
Nariman POint
Mumbai - 400 021

Tel (D): 91-22-4057 0322
       (B): 91-22-4057 0300
       Fax: 91-22-2285 2912

• Prev by Date: Re: Lisp Macros in Mathematica (Re: If Scheme is so good why MIT
  • Next by Date: Re: video on Presentations by Williams and Park
  • Previous by thread: Re: Lisp Macros in Mathematica (Re: If Scheme is so good why MIT
  • Next by thread: Re: Dynamically create array and display data graphically