Re: Functions of Arrays

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg102650] Re: [mg102590] Functions of Arrays
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:32:19 -0400 (EDT)

you should really define your function on lists, of which arrays are a
special case. Lists are the  data structure most used in Mathematica, and it
has many functions to conveniently work with lists - using them, you can
make your programs brief and efficient.

If you simply want your function to take a list (array) and return a sum of
here are some ways:

sumsq1[x_List] := Total[x^2];

sumsq2[x_List] := x.x;

With the following test array (list):

In[1] = test = Range[10]

Out[1] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}

You get:

In[2] = sumsq1[test]

Out[2] = 385

In[3] = sumsq2[test]

Out[3] = 385

If you plan to use Mathematica often, it is a good idea to read some simple
account on
basic Mathematica programming with lists. Mathematica book and online
documentation are both
pretty good. A very good book is by Paul Wellin et al.   Also, I have
devoted a chapter to this
topic in my book:

It is free, you may want to check it out.