Re: Very strange behaviour of ArcTan
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg102672] Re: [mg102656] Very strange behaviour of ArcTan
- From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
- Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
- Reply-to: hanlonr at cox.net
$MachinePrecision is an integer (16 on my machine). Perhaps you meant to use ArcTan[0.5 + $MachineEpsilon]? Bob Hanlon ---- Alexey <lehin.p at gmail.com> wrote: ============= Hello, I just have discovered some strange (buggy?) feature of ArcTan function in Mathematica 5.2. Try the following; In:= ArcTan[.5,$MachinePrecision] ArcTan[.5] Out= 1.53947 Out= 0.463648 The expression ArcTan[.5,$MachinePrecision] must (?) give an error but in really gives some strange output without any error messages... What do you think about this?