Problems with functions of a Complex Variable

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102811] Problems with functions of a Complex Variable
  • From: Sergio Miguel Terrazas Porras <sterraza at uacj.mx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 06:39:20 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Group:

I am trying to illustrate with Mathematica 7.0.1 some of the concepts of Quantum Mechanics.

In particular, for the particle in an Infinite Square Well, I define the time dependent Wave Function (Sum of Sines times Complex Exponentials ) Ok.

Using only the first 3 terms of the series, I run into the following:

If I use ComplexExpand[ ] I get things of the form a + I b, which, I would assume means to Mathematica that a and b are Real.

I then ask for the Conjugate of the preceding expresi=F3n, and I get things like Conjugate[a] - I*Conjugate[b].  (??)

If I plot the Probability Density Function, things are Ok. (Its Real)

If I try to calculate the (time dependent) expected value of x, Assuming[Element[{x,t},Reals],Integrate[x*psi*Congugate[psi],{x,0,a}]

Matem=E1tica hangs forever even though its only nine integrals.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Sergio Terrazas