Re: Re: Viewing packages in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102812] Re: [mg102736] Re: Viewing packages in mathematica
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 06:39:32 -0400 (EDT)

The window size issue is easy to fix.  With any file open, choose File->Save
As... and switch the file filter to "Mathematica Package".  Press the Options...
button.  In the resulting dialog, check the box to "Save window size and
position", then press the "Use Settings as Defaults" button.

 From now on, all packages that you save will remember their window size and
position.  You may wonder why we didn't do this by default.  There was some
discussion internally over whether saving the window size/position was more
desirable, or whether it was more desirable to minimize the amount of markup
which is added to package files by default.  The latter position won the day.
I'm not personally fully convinced by this, but compromise, like sausage, is
never pretty when it's made.

Concerning the line-wrapping issue, it is possible to change this, but
considerably more difficult.  But here's a canned procedure for you.

* Copy the notebook expression below.  Paste into Mathematica, and choose to
interpret.

Notebook[{
Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Package.nb"]],
Cell[CellGroupData[{
Cell[StyleData["Code"], PageWidth->WindowWidth, LineBreakWithin->Automatic,
 LineIndent->1., LinebreakAdjustments->{0.85, 2, 10, 0, 1}],
Cell[StyleData["Code", "Printout"], PageWidth->PaperWidth]
}, Open  ]]
},StyleDefinitions->"PrivateStylesheetFormatting.nb"]

* Click the "install Stylesheet..." button at the top.  In the "InstallName"
field, type
=09Package.nb
pressing Enter, then click the Finish button.

* Restart Mathematica.

To undo the effects of this, track down the file pointed to by evaluating this
expression...

ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd",
  "StyleSheets"}, "Package.nb"]

and delete it.  Make sure you're not editing any packages when you attempt to
delete the file.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com