Re: Viewing packages in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102814] Re: Viewing packages in mathematica
  • From: Vince <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:44:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 27, 6:38 am, John Fultz <jfu... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> The window size issue is easy to fix.  With any file open, choose File->Save
> As... and switch the file filter to "Mathematica Package".  Press the Options...
> button.  In the resulting dialog, check the box to "Save window size and
> position", then press the "Use Settings as Defaults" button.
>
>  From now on, all packages that you save will remember their window size and
> position.  You may wonder why we didn't do this by default.  There was some
> discussion internally over whether saving the window size/position was more
> desirable, or whether it was more desirable to minimize the amount of markup
> which is added to package files by default.  The latter position won the day.
> I'm not personally fully convinced by this, but compromise, like sausage, is
> never pretty when it's made.
>
> Concerning the line-wrapping issue, it is possible to change this, but
> considerably more difficult.  But here's a canned procedure for you.
>
> * Copy the notebook expression below.  Paste into Mathematica, and choose to
> interpret.
>
> Notebook[{
> Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Package.nb"]],
> Cell[CellGroupData[{
> Cell[StyleData["Code"], PageWidth->WindowWidth, LineBreakWithin->Automatic,
>  LineIndent->1., LinebreakAdjustments->{0.85, 2, 10, 0, 1}],
> Cell[StyleData["Code", "Printout"], PageWidth->PaperWidth]
>
> }, Open  ]]
> },StyleDefinitions->"PrivateStylesheetFormatting.nb"]
>
> * Click the "install Stylesheet..." button at the top.  In the "InstallName"
> field, type
> =09Package.nb
> pressing Enter, then click the Finish button.
>
> * Restart Mathematica.

John,

A tangential question: Is there a way to make the Front End substitute
spaces for tabs, when I press the Tab key? I'm looking to imitate the
same behavior available in the Workbench editor (I prefer to format
the whitespace of package files with spaces instead of tabs).

Thank you,

Vince Virgilio