Re: Combine images, Show[] and its effect on AspectRatio. Plot, Epilog, Circle, Arc

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105442] Re: Combine images, Show[] and its effect on AspectRatio. Plot, Epilog, Circle, Arc
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 06:29:21 -0500 (EST)

"dh" <dh at metrohm.com> wrote in message news:4B14FCDE.90001 at metrohm.com...

> Hi Nasser,
> the circle is drawn in the coordinate system of the plot. Therefore, you
> need to draw the circle as an ellipss in the "Plot" coordinate system.
> This can be done by a scaling transformation that takes care of the aspect
> ratio:
>
> cir = Circle[{0, 0}, 1, {-45 Degree, 180 Degree}];
> pl = Plot[Sin[x], {x, -Pi, Pi}];
> asp = AspectRatio /. FullOptions[pl];
> tr = ScalingTransform[{1/asp, 1}];
> cir = Graphics@GeometricTransformation[cir, tr];
> Show[pl, cir]

Hi Daniel;

Notice what I changed the plot range, the circle no longer comes out
circular looking. Below I made the plot to go from -5Pi to +5Pi

cir=Circle[{0,0},1,{-45 Degree,180 Degree}];
pl=Plot[Sin[x],{x,-5Pi,5 Pi}];
asp=AspectRatio/.FullOptions[pl];
tr=ScalingTransform[{1/asp,1}];
cir=Graphics@GeometricTransformation[cir,tr];
Show[pl,cir]

It happens to work ok when the plot range was {-Pi,Pi} (same for the post I
just send, which worked for only -Pi,Pi, so I still need to work on this
more!), but not for other plots ranges.

thanks
--Nasser