NDSolve with momentum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105457] NDSolve with momentum
  • From: Gareth Russell <russell at njit.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 06:15:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Does anyone know how to use NDSolve to create the trajectory of motion
of a point following positive gradients on an arbitrary landscape (a
ListStreamPlot-like path), but with 'momentum'? The idea is that the
trajectory would not terminate on smaller local maxima, depending on
the momentum term.

I don't know exactly how ListStreamPlot does its thing -- I would guess
it interpolates the array of gradient pairs, and then uses NDSolve to
find the paths. If so, is there way to modify that basic idea to
include a momentum-like term? Or would I need to do a full physics-type
model as if I were modelling a ball with mass, gravity, friction, etc.?

Thanks,

--
Gareth Russell
NJIT