Re: Flatten alternative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105503] Re: [mg105469] Flatten alternative
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 05:34:51 -0500 (EST)

Leslie,

how about this then:

Clear[myFlatten];
With[{join =
    Which[#2 === {}, #1,
      ! ListQ[#2], Append[#1, #2],
      {First@#2} === #2, #0[#1, First@#2],
      True, Append[#0[#1, Most@#2], Last@#2]] &},
  myFlatten[{}] = {};
  myFlatten[x_?ListQ] /; {First@x} === x && ! ListQ[First@x] := x;
  myFlatten[x_?ListQ] :=
   join[myFlatten@First@x, myFlatten@Rest@x];
  myFlatten[x_] := {x}];

It's kind of tricky, but uses only the functions you asked about - I even
avoided using Length. For example:

In[1]:= myFlatten[{a,b,{c,{d,{e,f,g[h,{i,j,{k}}]}}}}]

Out[1]= {a,b,c,d,e,f,g[h,{i,j,{k}}]}

In[2]:= myFlatten[{{1,2,3}}]

Out[2]= {1,2,3}

Now, some implementation details: the function uses double recursion. One
recursion is realized by myFlatten itself, and another is realized by
<join>, which is just an alias for a recursive pure function that joins
together two lists. Perhaps the hardest to digest part is how the recursive
pure function <join> works. If I remember correctly, recursive pure
functions are documented but very briefly. You may get a handle on them by
implementing some simple functions like factorial, Fibonacci or the like in
this style. Alternatively, one could implement it without this construct,
but then a new auxilliary head (say <join>) must be introduced. Here is how
the code for <join> can look like then:

Clear[join];
join[x_?ListQ, y_?(! ListQ[#] &)] := Append[x, y];
join[x_, {}] := x;
join[x_?ListQ, y_ /; {First@y} === y] := join[x, First@y];
join[x_?ListQ, y_] := Append[join[x, Most@y], Last@y];

Regards,