Re: How to combine Dynamic graphics in Show?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105536] Re: How to combine Dynamic graphics in Show?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 02:00:26 -0500 (EST)

Excerpting just a small bit here for clarification...

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:48:50 -0600, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> I went over help for Show again and again, and I do not see anywhere it
> said that. And the examples I saw for Plot which uses a Dynamic was to
> wrap a Plot with Dynamics, do I did that, i.e. to write
> p=Dynamics at Plot[....].

The documentation says that "Show can be used with Graphics and Graphics3D."

Show[{Plot[...], Dynamic[Plot[...]]}]

fails for exactly the same reason that

Show[[Plot[...], undefinedSymbol[Plot[...]]}]

fails.  Which fails for exactly the same reason that

2 + Dynamic[2]

doesn''t return 4.  Or that

Factorial[Dynamic[5]]

doesn't return 120.

> But again, this I think should be documented in the help for show, may be
> under possible issues, and also the error messages can be improved allot
> to help users find where the problem is. If I want something from version
> 8, it would be a more detailed and useful error messages. This will go a
> long way to make programming in Mathematica a more pleasant endover.

Perhaps the error message could be worded better, but I don't see how this is a
"possible issue" for Show.  Should we add "possible issues" examples for Plus
and Factorial?  The issue of understanding is with Dynamic, not with Show.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group