Invitation Letter for IMS2010,July 16-18th, 2010, Beijing, China

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105534] Invitation Letter for IMS2010,July 16-18th, 2010, Beijing, China
  • From: 2010 IMS <ims2010.cc at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 02:00:04 -0500 (EST)

*Call for Participation    ***

*The 10th International Mathematica Symposium ***

*Date: July 16** - **18th, 2010** *

*Location: Tsinghua University, Beijing, China***

*Web site: http://www.ims2010.cc***

In July 2010, the International Mathematica Symposium (IMS) will be held in
Beijing, China, a culturally-endowed city that has been significantly
renovated before the 2008 Olympics. IMS participants will not only have an
opportunity to meet with other top-tier users/developers of Mathematica, but
also have a chance to experience one of the most dynamic cities in the
world.

"Educational and Collaborative Computing" will be the main theme of IMS2010.
Mathematica has been used as a solid foundation and environment for multiple
modern research fields. We have invited famous researches from different
fields, such as visualization and image processing, parallel computing, etc.
They will share their achievements obtained with Mathematica. Closely
related to the research topics, some of new technologies and features
included in the coming new version of Mathematica will be presented in the
symposium. On the other hand, due to Mathematica's strong presence in the
educational arena, topics related to "Math-Supported Educational
Technologies" will also be encouraged. Many Top Educators in China and the
US have been invited to give their views on how Mathematica can be used. We
hope to use this symposium as a venue to increase the adoption of
Mathematica in math education. Workshops and clinics will be organized to
help both novices and veterans to sharpen their skills in using Mathematica
to give exciting and inspiring classes. Besides, we will also publish
presented talks and papers in paper and DVD formats.

Papers and proposals can be submitted immediately. *The deadlines are:*

Abstract Submission Deadline: January 31st, 2010

Paper of accepted abstracts Submission Deadline: March 15th, 2010

Since our theme is related to Education and Collaboration, we are inviting
top Mathematica users to host some tutorial sessions for students and
teachers. The goal is to expose Mathematica users of different levels to
further explore the untapped power of Mathematica. We welcome creative ideas
about these tutorial sessions. Once accepted, we can provide necessary
resources to adopt the idea onsite. Proposals for Demonstrations sessions
and special discussion sessions are also welcome.

In terms of tourism, sightseeing and an afternoon tea house trip to the
Summer Palace may be a possibility. (See:
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanatsummerpalace/heritage.aspx) During May 1 to
Oct 31, 2010, the first World Expo will also be held in Shanghai. (See:
http://en.expo2010.cn) Therefore, IMS attendees can consider coming for this
China trip and visit both Beijing and Shanghai.

*Logistic/Travel related matters:*

****

To ensure that all potential participants will enjoy an affordable, yet
comfortable stay in Beijing, we have chosen to host the venue in an area
close to Tsinghua University. In this region, you can find a wide range of
hotel accommodations and easy access to public transportation systems.
Compared to Europe and US prices, we are confident that the more economic
lodging and relatively lower living expenses may significantly offset the
cost of long-distance airfare.

Beijing has the world largest Airport, and has extremely low cost public
transportation that reaches Tsinghua and most of the in-city sight-seeing
places. If international attendees are interested, the organizing committee
can arrange shared transportation from and to the airport.

We hope to welcome you to Beijing!

On Behalf of the IMS 2010 Local Organizing Committee,

Benjamin Koo