Re: Rectangle and Circle

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105550] Re: Rectangle and Circle
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 06:44:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Assuming that you have a rectangle and a circle, and all vertices of the

rectangle have a greater distance from the center of the circle than the

radius. Then your question boils down to whether some point on an edge

has a distance smaller that the radius from the center.

Assume for simplicity that the center is at the origin (subtract the

origine).

Given the 4 vertices: p1={x1,y1},p2,p3,p4. The edge direction: e1=p2-p1,..

Any point on the edge p2...p1 can be written:line1= p1+z1 (p2-p1) with a

parameter z1.

The direction perpendicular to e1 is: r1={{0,1},{-1,0}}.e1

For the distance of the edge from the origin and the intersection of the

corresponding line with line1 we have the equation:

eq= r1 + z1(p2-p1) == z2 r1/Norm[r1]

we may solve for the parameter z1 and distance z2:

{param,dist}={z1,z2}/. Solve[eq,{z1,z2}][[1]]

Now, if 0<param<1  and dist> radius, the the circle cuts the edge.

Daniel