CVS Install on Windows XP for Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105597] CVS Install on Windows XP for Workbench
  • From: Colin Ladyka <colin.ladyka at saskcancer.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 04:58:31 -0500 (EST)

We are attempting to install and configure CVS so it can be used by the Wolfram Workbench CVS client.

We have multiple Windows XP computers all accessing a single shared drive. We have installed CVS on the shared drive. We can run the server in "local access method" from a command line in a DOS window on all systems.  We have successfully created & deleted repositories on the share.

Workbench only appears to provide access to CVS via client/server access methods (pserver, ext, extssh, or pserverssh2).  The local access method appears to be missing.

Is it possible to access the CVS server in local access method from the Workbench client?

How is this done?

Is this a bad idea?

If local access method is not possible/desirable, which access method is preferred?

Windows XP does not provide an rsh or ssh service. Are there recommended free ones out there?

Is there documentation on how to configure a CVS server on Windows XP for Wolfram Workbench?

The CVS manual (Version Management with CVS for CVS 1.11.23, Per Cederqvist et al) provides documentation for setting up the server for password authentication, but it all appears to apply to UNIX type operating systems (ex. modifying /etc/inetd.conf,...).