hyperlink back button

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105676] hyperlink back button
  • From: Dan Dubin <ddubin at ucsd.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:25:57 -0500 (EST)

Happy holidays, folks. I have a question about hyperlinks and the
back button. The following command creates a docked cell with a back
button:

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
  DockedCells -> {Cell[
     BoxData[ToBoxes[
       Button["back",
        FrontEnd`FrontEndExecute[
         FrontEnd`FrontEndToken[ButtonNotebook[], "HyperlinkGoBack"]],
        Evaluator -> None]]], "DockedCell"]}]

However, this button does not work quite the way I would like it to
(nor does Mathematica's back button in the toolbar).  After I click
on a hyperlink that takes me somewhere in a document, I want my back
button to take me back to where I was before I clicked the link. This
only happens if a list of previously-used hyperlinks is empty;
otherwise the back button takes one to the last-used hyperlink, not
back to the previous location. The history list is apparently in
FEPrivate`HistoryList["Back"], but I cannot clear that list, or even
see what is in it.

Does anyone know how to get at/modify this list, or barring that,
create a back button that functions as I described?

			--cheers -- Dan Dubin