Help needed using NDSolve and NIntegrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105703] Help needed using NDSolve and NIntegrate
  • From: Robert Buchanan <j.robert.buchanan at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 06:17:18 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I have a system of differential equations I am trying to solve
numerically. On the right-hand side of the ODEs I must numerically
integrate a quantity which is spatially distributed. I tried a simple
and direct approach of using NIntegrate[] on the RHS, but I am getting
warning messages and I think there must be a better way of coding this
in Mathematica. Rather than posting my complete system of ODEs I will
give a simpler, 1-dimensional example which produces the same warning
message. Suggestions on handling this issue are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Buchanan

NDSolve[{y[0] == 1.0,
  y'[t] == t y[t] + NIntegrate[Cos[r y[t]] Exp[r^2], {r, 0, 1}]},
 y[t], {t, 0, 1}]