Trick to create vector metafile in Mathematica 7.0 for copy & paste

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105718] Trick to create vector metafile in Mathematica 7.0 for copy & paste
  • From: Lawrence Teo <lawrenceteo at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 06:20:07 -0500 (EST)

Mathematica 7.0 removes the capability of vector metafile in some
graphics functions to enable more advanced graphics technology.
However, having the ability to copy and paste vector metafile is still
very desirable.

If we just want to do Plot3D vector metafile, we could always
=93<<Version5`Graphics`=94 and that will give us the ability to do vector
metafile through Mathematica 5.0 engine. That is relatively easy and
hassle free.

However, if we want to do a combination of Plot3D and ListPointPlot3D,
we can=92t use the aforementioned method because ListPointPlot3D wasn=92t
exist in Mathematica 5.0, but from Mathematica 6.0 onwards.

In short, the trick is to combine Version5 and Version6 graphics
capability as needed at the right time and reset the pink background
of the resultant =91error=92 graph.

Example to to combine Version5 and Version6 graphics capability as
needed

<< Version6`Graphics`;
point = ListPointPlot3D[Table[{Random[]*3, Random[]*3, Random[]}, {m,
1, 30}], PlotStyle -> PointSize[0.03]];
<< Version5`Graphics`;
surface = Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, Pi}, {y, 0, Pi}];
<< Version6`Graphics`;
Show[surface, point]

Reset pinkish 'error' graph - You will then see a resultant graph with
errors and pink background. Never mind, click on the graph with pink
background and select menu Graphics > Graphics Inspector (Ctrl+G). In
the Color section, click on the white background. Immediately you will
have a good graph to copy and paste into Microsoft Office.

The good thing is it is in vector metafile format, looks nice at
whatever zoom level you have.

Bingo, now you know the trick.