Re: ChartLabels for Stacked, Grouped BarCharts?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105843] Re: [mg105816] ChartLabels for Stacked, Grouped BarCharts?
  • From: Gordon Robertson <grobertson at bcgsc.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 03:32:31 -0500 (EST)

Brett

Thank you for your note.  As you indicate, the cases I asked about are described in the Examples, Options and Applications.

Gordon

On 09-12-20 9:00 PM, "Brett Champion" <brettc at wolfram.com> wrote:

On Dec 20, 2009, at 5:54 AM, Gordon Robertson wrote:

> Could I ask for help with ChartLabels for Stacked and Grouped
> BarCharts in
> Mathematica 7? I've checked the MathGroup archives and Mathematica
> help docs.

<snip>

> I can guess that Ticks may be the approach to use, but wonder if I
> could as k
> more experienced folks for help. Could I also ask WRI to implement (or
> document) these BarChart use cases.

It sounds like you want:

BarChart[data2, ChartLayout -> "Stacked", ChartLabels ->
{Placed[labs2, Below], None}]
BarChart[data2, ChartLayout -> "Grouped", ChartLabels ->
{Placed[labs2, Below], None}]

Examples with this behavior in the documentation (not a comprehensive
list):

BarChart > Examples > Scope > Labeling and Legending > "For rows of
data"
BarChart > Examples > Options > ChartLabels > "Associate labels with
rows or datasets:"
BarChart > Examples > Applications > (Portfolio example)
ChartLabels > Examples > Basic Examples > (third example)

and is generally covered by

"ChartLabels->{spec1,spec2,...} uses the successive  speci to specify
labels for successive dimensions in nested lists of datasets." in the
ChartLabels documentation.

Note that ChartLabels, ChartLegends, ChartElements have similar
behavior.

Brett Champion
Wolfram Research

--
Gordon Robertson
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre