Re: Figure quality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105943] Re: [mg105921] Figure quality
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 02:25:30 -0500 (EST)

1) Frame plots are almost always better than Axes plots. Why have the axis
and ticks stomp all over your curve? You won't see many axes plots in
technical publications. And in this case it allows us to control the ticks.

2) We have to use All to get the tick values on the vertical axis on the
right.

3) We have to use ImagePadding to get enough space for the tick labels.

4) We can get better resolution by using the MaxRecursion option. This
increases the sampling in regions where the plot is changing rapidly. It is
much better than increasing PlotPoints, although you can do that also.

5) "Quality" is already the default PerformanceGoal.

Plot[Sin[Pi/x/2], {x, 1/50, 1},
 Axes -> None,
 Frame -> {{False, True}, {True, False}},
 FrameTicks -> {{None, All}, {Automatic, None}},
 ImagePadding -> {{10, 30}, {30, 5}},
 PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {-1, 1}},
 MaxRecursion -> 15]

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: did [mailto:didier.oslo at hotmail.com]

Consider the figure:

Plot[Sin[Pi/x/2], {x, 1/50, 1}, AxesOrigin -> {1, 0}, PlotRange ->
{{0, 1}, {-1, 1}}, PerformanceGoal -> "Quality"]

1- On the vertical axis, how can I put the Ticks inside the figure
and the corresponding numbers outside?
(A sort of FlipLeftRight command)

2- Toward x=0.0 the amplitude of the curve seems to decrease.
This is probably due to under-sampling. How can I get the curve
right in this region?

Thanks