Re: Problem with GUIKit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96158] Re: Problem with GUIKit
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 03:38:02 -0500 (EST)

Paul Ellsmore wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Does anyone know what the eventname for row selection in a Widget[table] is,
> in Version 5.1?
>

> Also, if I use the syntax suggested in GUIKitGuide.nb to list all the
> eventnames, methodnames etc, I get an error message:
>

> Needs["GUIKit`"];
>

> ref = GUIRun[
>
>     Widget["Panel",{
>
>         Widget["ScrollPane",{
>
>             "preferredSize"RWidget["Dimension", {"width"R200,
> "height"R110}],
>
>             "viewportView"RWidget["Table",{
>
>                   "items"R{{"a1","b1","c1"},{"a2","b2","c2"}},
>
>                   PropertyValue["model",Name-> "myTableModel"]
>
>                   }, Name->"myTable"]
>
>             }]
>
>         }]
>
>     ]
>

> In: "WidgetNames" /. GUIInformation[ref]
>
> Out: {myTable,myTableModel} --- this works OK
>

> In: "PropertyNames" /. GUIInformation[ref,"inputField"]
>
> Out: GUIRun::err: The following GUIKit runtime error occurred :
>
> target inputField was not resolved to a valid object instance.
>

> The same error message occurs for:
>

> Select["MethodNames" /. GUIInformation[ref,"inputField"],
>
>   StringMatchQ[#,"*text*", IgnoreCaseRTrue]&]
>

> And for:
>

> "EventNames" /. GUIInformation[ref,"inputField"]
>

> Any thoughts on how I can find the relevant MethodNames etc?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Paul
>

> Dr. Paul A. Ellsmore
>

> Nanion Limited
>
> Oxford Centre for Innovation
>
> Mill Street
>
> Oxford
>
> United Kingdom
>
> OX2 0JX
>

> Tel: +44 (0) 1865 811175
>
> Fax: +44 (0) 1865 248594

My impression is that GUIKit is no longer maintained or developed. I
created a free package, called the SuperWidgetPackage (SWP), that
creates Java GUI's, and is much easier to use than GUIKit. This package
used to use GUIKit internally, but I got sick of some of the unresolved
peculiarities of GUIKit, and the current version uses J/Link directly.

The current version of the SWP is for versions 6 and 7 only, but I do
have an older version for 5.2. Unfortunately, there were some changes
between 5.1 and 5.2, and I know it will not work with 5.1.

It is also worth noting that starting at Mathematica 6, notebooks can
contain many GUI facilities directly - so an upgrade may be your best
option.

In my opinion, forget GUIKit!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk