JLink problem, Mathematica 6, OSX, Java SE 6 (64 bit).

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96269] JLink problem, Mathematica 6, OSX, Java SE 6 (64 bit).
  • From: Scott Morrison <scott.morrison at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:54:50 -0500 (EST)

I'm having a problem with JLink in Mathematica 6, on OSX 10.5, with Java SE 6
(64 bit). In particular, I get error messages

 LinkConnect::linkc:
   Unable to connect to LinkObject['/Applications/Mathema<<92>>/
m0000011741",
     <<2>>].
 InstallJava::fail: A link to the Java runtime could not be
established.

when first loading JLink, and later running InstallJava[] results in

 LinkOpen::linke: Error 19
 InstallJava::launch: The Java runtime could not be launched.

Going to Java preferences, I can switch back to J2SE 5.0 (32 bit) (but
not 64 bit), after which the problems go away. For performance
reasons, I'd really prefer to be able to use a 64 bit runtime. Does
anyone know of a fix for this problem?

I don't have the same problem with Mathematica 7, but for now I'm having some
mysterious problems in Mathematia 7 (my existing packages randomly hang...?)
that I'd like to be able to switch back for a while.

thanks,
Scott Morrison