Dynamic changing of variables

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg96314] Dynamic changing of variables
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 05:22:24 -0500 (EST)

assume the following code lines:

DynamicModule[{a, b = 0},
  a = Dynamic[Sin[b]];
    Slider[Dynamic[b], {0, 2*Pi}]

In order to update "a" with the actual value of Sin[b] I need
Dynamic around it. Unfortunately, now the variable "a" is invisibly
wrapped and completely useless for further calculations. I'm not able to
calculate even a+1 inside the DynamicModule.

DynamicModule[{a, b = 0},
  a = Dynamic[Sin[b]];
    Slider[Dynamic[b], {0, 2*Pi}]

If I'm not just too stupid and this behaviour is intended, then I'm
wondering whether this doesn't lead to problems when you have more
complex constructs with several dynamic variables.

PS: I was just pointed by another person on this and I found a way
around it. So cannot provide a real problem I'm having. Nevertheless, I
would be glad to know what you think since I couldn't really find the
point in the documentation where this is explained.