Re: WeatherData - many properties unavailable?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96307] Re: WeatherData - many properties unavailable?
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 05:21:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jason,

I've also noted this behaviour. I assume this has something to do with
WeatherData trying to give you the *current* values if you don't
provide a date/time argument. Some stations do not provide an hourly
measurement online, but, for instance, report once every four hours.
If the time of the last report is too far from now, WeatherData
reports it as Missing["NotAvailable"].

Adding a date/time argument increases the response considerably:

Map[WeatherData[#, "Visibility", {2008, 2, 10}, TimeZone -> 6] &,
 WeatherData[{"New York", 20}]]

Note that some stations with a low update rate will publish hourly
data a couple of days after the fact. So, historic data may be finer
sampled than current data.

Cheers -- Sjoerd