Re: LabeledListPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96347] Re: LabeledListPlot
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:34:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi Terry,

simply change your number to the corresponding character by:

FrimCharacterCode:

ListPlot[dta] /.

  Point[lst : {{_, _} ..}] :>

   MapIndexed[{Text[FromCharacterCode[96 + #2[[1]]], #1, {-1, -1}],

      Point[#1]} &, lst]

hope this helps, Daniel

TerryH wrote:

> Hi Groupers:

>       Last November 2008, I posted the inquiry below and one of the

> replies that I got was from Jens (also listed below & it worked great).

>       Now I have a related question, which is:  Instead of labeling the

> individual plotted points with an integer, how can you label the

> individual plotted points with textual labels?  For example, I want to

> label the first plotted point with "a", the second one with "b", the

> third with "c", and so on.  I've tried using PlotMarkers but that labels

> the entire data set and not individual points.  The best that I could

> come up with is to make each x,y pair into its own list, for example

> with 3 points to plot (for the illustration here)

> data = {{x1,y1},{x2,y2},{x3,y3}}  then feed data[[1]], data[[2]],

> data[[3]] into ListPlot, I want to apply the labels {"a","b","c"}.

> This works for a Point plotting symbol.  However, it feels cumbersome.

>       However, I'd really like to use a filled triangle for the plotting

> symbol and not the Graphic associated with what

> Graphic[Point[{num1,num2}]] gives.  The only way I could get this to

> work is to generate 2 separate graphics with one (grfA) have the labels

> only, and the other (grfB) without labels but with the correct plotting

> symbol, and then bring them together using Show[grfA,grfB].  But this

> method really seems ackword, so surely there has to be a better way.

> I'm using Ver 6.0.3   Any suggestions?

> TIA

> .......Terry

> Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:

>> Hi,

>> dta = Table[{tmp = Random[], Sin[Pi*tmp]}, {25}] // Sort;

>> ListPlot[dta] /.

>>   Point[lst : {{_, _} ..}] :>

>>    MapIndexed[{Text[#2[[1]], #1, {-1, -1}], Point[#1]} &, lst]

>> Regards

>>    Jens

>> TerryH wrote:

>>> Hi Groupers,

>>>     In Ver 5.2 and earler there was a function called "LabeledListPlot"

>>> In Ver 6.0.1 and 6.0.3 of Mathematica, it seems that this function was

>>> inadvertently omitted (Hopefully, it will be included in the next

>>> update/Version).  In the meantime does anyone know of a work-around so