Re: Definition of the similarity in a set of integers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg96444] Re: Definition of the similarity in a set of integers
- From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 03:47:48 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Assuming S1 and S2 contain the same amount of integers: EuclideanDistance[S1,S2]^2/Length[S1] or Correlation[S1,S2] Cheers -- Sjoerd On Feb 12, 1:40 pm, Ryan Markley <over... at gmail.com> wrote: > Hello I have two sets of integers eg > > S1 = (25,14,32,45) and S2 = (26,12,31,48) > > I want to define an operation similar to the variance that give me how > similar both sets are, for example in the above example for both sets > the results I have to get need to be similar because both sets are > similar. > > The problem with the variance is this > > S1 = (25,1,1,1) and S2 = (1,1,25,1) these two sets have the same > variance but they are completly different. What mathematical operation > can I use to do what I am looking for. > > Thanks a lot in advance.