Re: Re: Typesetting bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96504] Re: [mg96457] Re: Typesetting bug
  • From: Fred Simons <f.h.simons at tue.nl>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 03:19:44 -0500 (EST)

replicatorzed at gmail.com wrote:
> For those who are interested:
>
> It does happen in v6 and v7 as well, 5.2 I can not test. It happens
> even with a fresh kernel. The problem boils down to the fact that when
> max^n is typed in with n as a superscript, any *new line* of input in
> the same cell will be treated as a factor in a product with max^n. So
> to reproduce, one has to input max^n with the Ctrl+^ combination. Can
> anyone confirm this bug?
>
> I copy the lines here, although note that simply pasting it to a
> notebook won't replace ^n with a real superscript. Also note that the
> output is not two outputs, as I would expect it, but Times[...]
>
> In[3]:= max^n
>
> Out[3]= max^n x
>
> While the following code returns output as expected:
>
> In[2]:= ax^n
>
> Out[2]= ax^n
>
> Out[3]= n
>

> With fresh kernel, as I have stated.
>
> Istvan

To answer your question: yes.

I think that your bug is closely related to a bug that I reported many years ago to WRI and that still exists.

Type in an input cell max^n + 4, with n as a superscript, and evaluate. Then the result is 4 * max^n.

The same happens with max replaced with min, but not with Max, Min, mAx, mIn, etc, and not with e.g. sin.

Of course all this weird but very irrelevant.

Kind regards,

Fred Simons
Eindhoven University of Technology