coloring of proteins when using Import[] from PDB

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96556] coloring of proteins when using Import[] from PDB
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:58:14 -0500 (EST)

Hello MathGroup:

If anyone can tell me how the Import[] command decides how to color
proteins I am interested in this.  An example is:

Import["http://www.genome.ad.jp/dbget-bin/www_bget?pdb+1THJ+withATOM";,
"PDB"]

This is a trimer called "gamma"-Carbonic Anhydrase.

In the book I am working from (i.e. BiochemistryV6 by Stryer p.259),
the coloring reflects the trimeric structure. In the rendering from
Import[], all three alpha-helices have the same color for example.

TIA.

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory