Re: Factor by Grouping
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg96646] Re: [mg96613] Factor by Grouping
- From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 04:23:49 -0500 (EST)
- Reply-to: hanlonr at cox.net
xy is a symbol and is not the same as x*y or x y expr = 4 + 7 x*y - 14 y - 2 x 7 x y-2 x-14 y+4 expr // Factor (x-2) (7 y-2) expr // Simplify (x-2) (7 y-2) Bob Hanlon ---- magnum <magnum at nobody.com> wrote: ============= I am new to Mathmatica. I am trying to learn how to factor monomials and polynomials and at the same time learn Mathematica. How to I factoa equation such as 4+7xy-14y-2x I need to group to (x-2)(7y-2). Should be easy I think, but I can't actually figure out what the correct sequence would be.