Re: Factor by Grouping

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg96646] Re: [mg96613] Factor by Grouping
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 04:23:49 -0500 (EST)

xy is a symbol and is not the same as  x*y  or  x y

expr = 4 + 7 x*y - 14 y - 2 x

7 x y-2 x-14 y+4

expr // Factor

(x-2) (7 y-2)

expr // Simplify

(x-2) (7 y-2)

Bob Hanlon

---- magnum <magnum at> wrote:

I am new to Mathmatica. I am trying to learn how to factor monomials and polynomials and at the same time learn Mathematica. How to I factoa equation such as

I need to group to (x-2)(7y-2).

Should be easy I think, but I can't actually figure out what the correct sequence would be.