Re: Factor by Grouping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96636] Re: [mg96613] Factor by Grouping
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 04:22:00 -0500 (EST)

You need to leave a space between x and y or insert an '*'. Otherwise
Mathematic treats xy as a new single variable.

4 + 7 x y - 14 y - 2 x;
% // Factor
(-2 + x) (-2 + 7 y)

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: magnum [mailto:magnum at nobody.com]

I am new to Mathmatica. I am trying to learn how to factor monomials and
polynomials and at the same time learn Mathematica. How to I factoa equation
such as

4+7xy-14y-2x

I need to group to (x-2)(7y-2).

Should be easy I think, but I can't actually figure out what the correct
sequence would be.