Re: Factor by Grouping
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg96636] Re: [mg96613] Factor by Grouping
- From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 04:22:00 -0500 (EST)
- References: <14379036.1234870137007.JavaMail.root@m02>
You need to leave a space between x and y or insert an '*'. Otherwise Mathematic treats xy as a new single variable. 4 + 7 x y - 14 y - 2 x; % // Factor (-2 + x) (-2 + 7 y) David Park djmpark at comcast.net http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/ From: magnum [mailto:magnum at nobody.com] I am new to Mathmatica. I am trying to learn how to factor monomials and polynomials and at the same time learn Mathematica. How to I factoa equation such as 4+7xy-14y-2x I need to group to (x-2)(7y-2). Should be easy I think, but I can't actually figure out what the correct sequence would be.