Expecting an image instead of image...

how I love these error messages, so clear...

I know it's more wysiwyg to copy&paste image icons on command lines,
but I'm more used to do it the old way, also to remember where the
image comes from...
but I'm getting this funny message:

a = Import["k0004b.tif"]
<<image is displayed>>

MorphologicalComponents[a]
MorphologicalComponents::imginv:
Expecting an image or graphics instead of Image[{{91,85...

do you know what's happening here?

alessandro