What is "Depth of Atomic Objects" ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96696] What is "Depth of Atomic Objects" ?
  • From: ichi <mune9518 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:38:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
The Mathematica Help in A.1.4 says "Atomic objects in Mathematica are
considered to have depth 0 and yield True when tested with AtomQ."
For example, numeric 4 is Integer and must be a Atomic object.
Then I try the function Depth and AtomQ ;
Depth[4] returns depth "1". And AtomQ[4] returns "True".
Why can the function Depth return depth "0" ?
I wonder if meaning of the function "Depth" differs from the word
"depth".
But I feel somthing strange.
How can I understand this ?
thanks.