Re: Re: Using VerticalSlider controls for Manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96690] Re: [mg96674] Re: Using VerticalSlider controls for Manipulate
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:37:22 -0500 (EST)

If you are going to use a Button, I would recommend that you assign some action to it (e.g., increment).

a = 64; b = 64;
Grid[{{VerticalSlider[Dynamic[a], {0, 127, 1}],
   VerticalSlider[Dynamic[b], {0, 127, 1}]},
  {Button[Dynamic[a], a = Min[127, a + 1]],
   Button[Dynamic[b], b = Min[127, b + 1]]}}]

Bob Hanlon

---- brtubb at pdmusic.org wrote:

=============
I found a "solution" which might interest others, so here is an
example. As my intent is to allow dynamic values with labels for the
sliders, the "Button" approach is the next best thing :>)

Dynamic[a]; Dynamic[b]; a = 64; b = 64;
Print[
 Column[
  {
   Row[
    {VerticalSlider[Dynamic[a], {0, 127, 1}],
     , " ", VerticalSlider[Dynamic[b], {0, 127, 1}]}
    ],
   Row[{Dynamic[Button[a]], "  ", Dynamic[Button[b]]}]
   }
  ]
 ]

Thanks for all the feedback.

P.S. Ideally I'd like to use Mathematica perhaps with the Orchestra-95 text
based music language (for programming "ease") to allow both MIDI
[SoundNote[] based] AND additive synthesis [Play[] based] playback of
music playable polyphonically with the Sound[] function whether for
algorithmic music or not!.

But it would be very helpful if Mathematica could IMPORT MIDI files and just
export them (unless Version 7 can now -- v6 doesn't).

Benjamin Tubb
www.pdmusic.org