listing user defined, independent variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96752] listing user defined, independent variables
  • From: "Paul Ellsmore" <paul.ellsmore at nanion.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:43:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I have a notebook in which there are over 1300 variables (symbols) defined.
The vast majority of these are dependent variables. I can get a list of them
all with Names["Global`*"], but what I really want is a list of only the
independent variables. Is there any obvious way to do this? Mathematica must
"know" which variables are functions of other symbols, so I was hoping that
there would be an "attribute" of a dependent variable that I could use as a
filter on Names[]. Any thoughts? I am using V5.1.

Cheers,

Paul

Dr. Paul A. Ellsmore

Nanion Limited