Re: newbie: how to define, typeset a multi-rule function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96788] Re: [mg96767] newbie: how to define, typeset a multi-rule function?
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:01:44 -0500 (EST)

As you're not speaking "Mathematica", I have to do some guessing, but
perhaps this is the function you want:

Subscript[f, x][chi_] = Piecewise[{{k, 0 <= chi <= 1}}]

\[Piecewise]k	0<=chi<=1
0	True

or

Subscript[f, x][\[Chi]_]=Piecewise[{{k,0<=\[Chi]<=1}}]

\[Piecewise]k	0<=\[Chi]<=1
0	True

In the second version I used the "special characters" palette to enter
\[Chi].

To enter Subscript[f, x], just type f, then Ctrl-_x. (That does NOT make
the function depend on x. It simply makes x part of the function name.)

You can also copy/paste the first line to Mathematica, press Enter to
evaluate the line, and the bracketed version should appear.

> Once I've typeset this function, I want to actually solve it.

No clue what that means. In mathematics we solve equations/conditions...
not functions.

I might guess that you want to invert the function, but it's not
invertible, so... clarify what you want.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at longhorns.com