Re: N00b help needed: Graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96867] Re: N00b help needed: Graphics
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:57:46 -0500 (EST)

Hauke Reddmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a very simple problem: Visualization of
> two data sets f={{x1,y1},{x2,y2},...} and
> g={{X1,Y1},{X2,Y2},...}.
> The first set shall be replaced by an interpolated curve:
> F=Interpolation[f]. OK, that was trivial :-)
> The second shall be shown as small dots overlayed on the graph
> of f. Where is the problem, you ask? The problem is
> my uni has version 5 and all the Graphics primitives
> as shown on the Wolfram Internet site give no visible
> output or even error messages!
> Surely you have a command Plot[something_with_f_and_g]
> for me working for any data lists? (Spline madness is
> no issue, F is very smooth with my actual test data set f.)
>
> THX,
Before version 6 graphics expressions did not get rendered when they
reached the front end - they just produced a thing that looked like
-Graphics-

Functions like Plot did the necessary rendering, but if you built the
graphics up yourself - Graphics[{......... then you needed to wrap the
whole thing in Show:

Show at Graphics[{......

Needless to say this caused a lot of confusion at the time of the change!

A few extra Graphics primitives have been added later, but whatever you
use, you can check by looking for help, but you should find your program
will burst into life once you make this change.

Version 6/7 graphics is MUCH nicer, so you should try to pester your
university to upgrade. Sometimes universities get software upgrades and
don't get round to installing them!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk