Re: Counting Categories

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96841] Re: Counting Categories
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:53:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gregory,

To avoid confusion: CategoryCount is not replaced with the Cases
constructiom you showed. That's the function CategoryLists.
CategoryCount is done with Count instead of Cases.

However, what you want can be easily done with Tally:

In[187]:= data =
 Table[{RandomChoice[{red, green, blue}],
   RandomChoice[{small, big, medium}]}, {20}]

Out[187]= {{green, big}, {red, medium}, {red, big}, {red, big}, {blue,
   medium}, {blue, big}, {blue, small}, {green, big}, {red,
  medium}, {red, medium}, {blue, big}, {red, medium}, {green,
  big}, {green, small}, {red, medium}, {blue, small}, {green,
  big}, {red, medium}, {red, medium}, {red, medium}}

In[188]:= Tally[data]

Out[188]= {{{green, big}, 4}, {{red, medium}, 8}, {{red, big},
  2}, {{blue, medium}, 1}, {{blue, big}, 2}, {{blue, small},
  2}, {{green, small}, 1}}

Cheers -- Sjoerd