Re: newbie: how to define, typeset a multi-rule function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96922] Re: newbie: how to define, typeset a multi-rule function?
  • From: Tom Roche <tlroche at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:13:47 -0500 (EST)

Tom Roche Feb 24, 5:46 am (rearranged)
>> For an example in a math layout, I can almost typeset the function
>> in OpenOffice Math like f_x(%chi) = left lbrace stack {k if %chi in
>> [0,1] # 0 otherwise} right rbrace (except that I don't want the
>> closing brace, but that's another problem). I tried to create this
>> using the palettes, but I didn't see one that did multiline
>> brackets.

or Piecewise brackets. Gotta learn the terminology!

Sjoerd C. de Vries Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:05:06 +0000 (UTC)
> Formatting/entry goes like this: Use Esc pw Esc to enter {

i.e. that brings up the piecewise bracket

> and Ctrl+Comma

i.e. having typed the return value of the first case (e.g. "k"), type
C-, to type the conditions for the first case (e.g. 0 <= \[Chi] <= 1)

>  and then Ctrl+Enter for each additional piecewise case

i.e. to show entry fields for the next case. That's it! Thanks!