Re: Non-deterministic numerical inaccuracies in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94965] Re: Non-deterministic numerical inaccuracies in
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 07:26:41 -0500 (EST)

Bob Hanlon wrote:
> $Version
>
> 7.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (November 11, 2008)
>
> No problem apparent.
>

> Bob Hanlon
>

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM , Sjoerd C. de Vries wrote:

I think I might be able to guess what this is connected with. 64-bit C
will use the XMM registers for floating point. These are 64-bits in
length. 32-bit C has to cater for much older hardware, and so will use
the old coprocessor registers. These are 80-bits in length. If the
kernel contains some code that saves these registers as 64-bit numbers -
say in response to a random interupt - this will truncate the extra bits
when they are restored and make a tiny change in certain circumstances.

It would be interesting if someone at WRI would tell me if I have
guessed correctly!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk